George Aquino Culinary Nutrition Application
George Aquino is the founding Board of Directors Chair of the Downtown Market Grand Rapids. His passion for culinary education and healthy and sustainable living inspired the George Aquino Culinary Field Trip. We are honored to offer this opportunity to our neighbors as part of his living legacy. Mr. Aquino assists in awarding these experiences to our non-profit partners.
To contribute to improving measureable health outcomes in the underserved community by partnering with non-profit organizations working toward this mutual mission. The available services in the Teaching Kitchen will seek to assist underserved population groups in the following ways:
• Quality of life
• Familiarity with local produce and healthy ingredients
• Convenient culinary skills and at home cooking techniques
• Providing a welcoming, adaptable, community environment to share knowledge, provide support, and increase access and knowledge of healthy foods
Partner group non-profits are encouraged to apply for participation in this free program to service their target populations. PRIORITY for awarding groups these services will be given to groups targeting the following audiences:
• Location: Roosevelt Neighborhood, Heartside Neighborhood, South East Side Neighborhood
• Population groups: Underserved Youth (12-18) and Children (8-12)
GROUP SIZE: 18 per group; plus 3 chaperones
• Classes hosted in Downtown Market Teaching Kitchen
• Class is approximately 90 mins
• Health conscious recipes, take home recipe cards with estimated pricing & shopping list
• Goal setting for classes that are effective for your group i.e. I have a group of after-school program students that don't know how to cook healthy meals. I want them to leave the class with the knowledge to prepare an easy nutritional meal for 4. SEE APPLICATION
• Basic "101" Level classes on a variety of skills determined to best fit group needs. Options include:
o Knife Skills/Kitchen Safety/Creating a pantry
o Cooking on a budget
o Convenience Cooking
o Hands-on basic culinary skills with 5 ingredients (or less) recipes
1. Organization representatives submit application for G.A. Culinary Nutrition Group Scholarship.
2. DMEF staff determine services based on application, available funds and mutual mission.
3. DMEF staff will notify groups of their program participation status.
4. DMEF staff will schedule time, date and themes with accepted groups, according to mission and availability.
5. Participating non-profits will submit pre-program in-take forms including the following:
a. Class registration with names & basic demographic information including gender, race, zip code, age
b. Assessment of skill level pre-program participation
c. Liability waiver for each participant
d. Photo release where applicable
6. Participating non-profits will participate in post-program assessments on-site
7. Participating non-profits will return “satisfaction” survey after class experience
TIMELINES: Rolling application deadline with awards given as funding, timing and mission fit allow. DMEF awards five group experiences each year. Award cycle follows the public class schedule. (Jan-Apr/May-Aug/Sept-Dec)
Applicants may be placed on wait list for following term, if desired.
To qualify for participation in these free services with the DMEF Teaching Kitchen, participating groups should reflect goals as stated earlier in the document.
Type of Organization:
Age Range of Group:
Estimated Group Size (up to 18 plus up to 3 chaperones):
Classes are approximately 1.5 hours in length. Please list your first, second, and third date and time preference. We will confirm your scheduled date and time.
Organization Contact Name:
Organization Contact Title:
Organization Contact Email:
Organization Contact Phone:
Address Line 2
State / Province / Region
Postal / Zip Code
Antigua & Barbuda
Bosnia & Herzegovina
British Indian Ocean Territory
British Virgin Islands
Central African Republic
Cocos (Keeling) Islands
Congo - Brazzaville
Congo - Kinshasa
French Southern Territories
Heard & McDonald Islands
Hong Kong SAR China
Isle of Man
Macau SAR China
Northern Mariana Islands
Papua New Guinea
São Tomé & Príncipe
South Georgia & South Sandwich Islands
St. Kitts & Nevis
St. Pierre & Miquelon
St. Vincent & Grenadines
Svalbard & Jan Mayen
Trinidad & Tobago
Turks & Caicos Islands
U.S. Outlying Islands
U.S. Virgin Islands
United Arab Emirates
Wallis & Futuna
What is the primary mission of your program & organization?
How would your group benefit from a culinary class at the Downtown Market Teaching Kitchen?
What objectives would you like to accomplish with your group during your class?
What type of class would you prefer?
Knife Skills/Kitchen safety/Creating a pantry
Cooking on a budget
Hands-on basic culinary skills with five ingredients (or less) recipes
I am authorized on behalf of the aforementioned organization to submit this application. I have read and understood all aspects of the described DMEF program “George Aquino Culinary Nutrition Field Trip.”
Do Not Fill This Out